Dalin

Default Re: Sonar Defences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I was curious, so I Googled it

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ic-navigation/

This article sells me that bats do have 360 degree echolocation
[NERD]

Now I'm intrigued! The article clearly says that "echolocation can provide information from 360 degrees around." That seems conclusive but is potentially at odds with another study of the same bat species, Echolocating bats emit a highly directional sonar sound beam in the field. Here's a tidbit from the conclusion that's interesting:

Quote:
Bat echolocation frequency is assumed to be a compromise between resolution and range, because only at high frequencies (short wavelengths) will small insects be efficient echo reflectors (Møhl 1988), while at the same time atmospheric attenuation is also more severe as the frequency increases. However, the range reduction by increased atmospheric attenuation is offset by the increased directionality at higher frequencies, which focus more sound energy in the forward direction. This implies that the cost of increasing the frequency may not be the range, but rather the width, of the sonar, or the bat's ‘peripheral vision’.
I don't have enough time to drill down further right now, but I wonder if bats have multiple echolocation modes? The article implies that they send their signals from their mouths, so maybe they can twist their heads around and fire their beams in multiple directions. But that's not quite the same as the 360° Vision advantage.

[/NERD]

Regardless, I wouldn't care about any of this in the game. Batbeasts with 360° Vision sound awesome!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote