View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #28
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Navigation

Er, right. No low-tech air Navigation (except for flyers and magical flying ships).

But what if you've got no map, and no recognizeable landmarks, and your TL is too low for a magnetic compass? You might even be in a large flat expanse of grassland, tundra, or desert, with no bodies of water nearby. Especially if there's a horizon, there may be no landmarks visible at all. The same might even be true if people are travelling atop the canopy of a huge, closed forest, or at least peeking above the canopy once in a while to try to tell where they are.

Or if nobody in the party knows Navigation at all, but somebody knows Astronomy.

Conversely, on a flat world, how would people navigate at sea without the aid of the stars? What kind of instruments or methods would people invent at low tech levels? Would open-ocean navigation be impossible? Or would using the sun and moon as Daigoro describes give enough info?

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote