View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Area Knowledge must be treated as a /TL skill, too. Area Knowledge (American West)/TL8 probably includes the knowledge that I-25 is the north-south highway east of the Front Range, but not how to follow the Purgatoire River to shortcut the Santa Fe Trail. That's /TL5 or 6...
That's really not /TL so much as /time period, or to more fully generalize /society. It's always been the case that Area Knowledge refers to stuff that's of contemporary relevance, not necessarily the same as the stuff that would have been vital Area Knowledge centuries (or even decades) earlier in the exact same place.

This isn't typically a problem, but if time-displacement of some sort is going on it makes sense to note when as well as where your Area Knowledge is from. If there are multiple overlapping but largely separate societies in the same place and time (humans and talking animals, or faeries, or vampires...or in some cases European settlers and natives), I think it would be good to notate which one you have Area Knowledge for. In a city or neighborhood, human Area Knowledge will tell you about businesses, criminal activity, government offices, and the like...Rodent area knowledge will tell you about prominent cats in the area, what regions are exposed to hawk attacks, and where the best garbage is found, but probably won't help you get to the DMV...or at best will do so at a much larger penalty than the human version.