View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
Orochi-art

Default Question batch #1

Here is first batch of questions that are bugging me.
(it would be great if you could start your replies with "Question X" so others can instantly know to which question you are referring to.

Question #1: Low-Tech Book: Blunt Trauma and Edged Weapons – Using this optional rule cutting weapon will have its damage type changed from cutting into crushing damage unless it can exceed twice the armor’s DR. (example: DR 6 plate armor is still DR 6 but you need to deal (exceed DRx2) 13 damage with a sword to deal cutting damage type. If you deal 12 or less; damage type will be crushing.)
When using cutting weapons, with crushing damage type, against chainmail and other flexible armor do I use armor’s full DR or do they gain -1/-2 vs. crushing depending on the armor in question?

Question #2: Low-Tech Book: Longsword damage typo? - Bastard sword and Thrusting Bastard Sword have +1 increase in both swing and thrust damage when comparing one-handed and two-handed use. That would imply that using a one-handed weapon in two hands gives you an extra “umph” that gives you +1 damage. When comparing tables for Longsword it gains increase only in thrust damage.

Question #3: Low-Tech Book: Longsword vs. Bastard sword reach – This question comes from my knowledge or lack of knowledge and assumptions. Also I know sword classification is opening good, old can of worms and there are different types of classifications.

When speaking of two handed swords I classify them in following manner:
- Longswords & bastard swords: 40-50 inch – sizes were comparable; bastard sword was little heavier
- great swords: 44-55 inch - Claymore – they required two hands to use, but are shorter than what we know as true two-handed swords.
- true two-handed swords: up to 5’10” - 70 inch - famous german zweihander

Longsword reach
swing 1
thrust 1,2

Bastard Sword reach
swing 1,2
thrust 2

Great sword reach
swing 1,2
thrust 2

How come longsword can only swing at reach 1 and how come bastard sword can only thrust at reach 2? If I use my classification how come bastard sword uses greatsword reach tables? In my mind bastard sword is similar to longsword, and book also classifies longsword as light Bastard Sword (low-tech, page 58). What were the bases for those statistics used in Low-Tech book?

Question #4: The Deadly Spring – Crossbows - I really liked that article and how it puts bows and crossbows in line with other, more modern weapons like guns and rifles (Instead of damage based of user’s Strength). It puts them all in same format. It gives cohesion to ranged weapons tables.

I can’t go into complex math so here goes my question, or favor to ask.
There is only one medieval crossbow and that one requires windlass/cranequin.

I need statistics for medieval crossbows, both wood and steel, based on ST 10 human.
Crossbow #1: two-hand pull
Crossbow #2: two-hand pull with stirrup
Crossbow #3: goat’s foot

So those are 6 crossbows (3 steel-limbed, 3 wooden-limbed)

Last edited by Orochi-art; 12-14-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Orochi-art is offline   Reply With Quote