View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #39
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Fantasy powered armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Actually, it doesn't. It remains half the points, it's just that because you're buying cheaper lifting ST the number of points you're halving is smaller.
I mean, it does make it a little more complicated, if only because 3/5th's is a more complicated number than 3.

For those wondering what the exact equations are:

lifting ST cost is 3:
payload: spend [points to spend+ ST*3]/3
Lifting ST: spend [points to spend + ST*3]*2/3 - ST*3
*spend everything on payload if points to spend are less than ST*3/2

lifting ST cost is 0.6

payload: spend [points to spend+ ST*0.6]/3
Lifting ST: spend [points to spend + ST*0.6]*2/3 - ST*0.6
*spend everything on payload if points to spend are less than ST*0.6/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
In theory you could have the others serve as combat support characters for the Shardbearer, provided the other players find it acceptable to have characters who are markedly less powerful. Considering the Shardbearer is canonically going to be the primary target of the enemy, this could actually work out fairly well for the party. Were I running a campaign on Roshar, I'd be inclined to set it a bit prior to the current time period (no Surgebinders, aside from the Honorblades and Skybreakers at least, but that's NPC material), and have Shards be off-limits at character creation - if someone wants Plate and/or Blade, they'll have to actually acquire such in play, and that's no mean feat.
You might play below shard-plate tier play, as you suggested. You might play a political game in which you've got a king, a shardbearer, a general, and an behind-the-scenes diplomatic individual who knows how to write. You might play a game with surge-binding in play, in which case the shardbearer doesn't have huge power compared to the others.

There are lots of ways to slice it up, but you do have to slice it up, unlike a setting in which its just one more enchanted item.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote