View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #44
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IW) Cyberpunk Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Untrue, at least in the USA. While many homeless do suffer from disabilities and/or mental illness, they usually receive assistance when they enter jail for the first time, at least in the larger municipalities, so they usually transition to a more stable circumstance. In the USA, the majority of the homeless do not suffer from crippling disabilities and/or mental illness. They are either individuals who are the working homeless, families who are homeless, veterans, or unaccompanied youths.

In fact, the chronic homeless only make up a sixth of the homeless population, with the vast majority of the homeless just being people who temporarily ran out of luck. In a dystopian cyberpunk setting, I would imagine that the temporary homeless would be even more common compared to the chronic homeless, as automation would drive people out of work and society would not care.

My experience with the homeless does include several strong experiences in a developing country where I lived for a year, so that may be coloring things.

So doing some digging, it looks like your statement about chronic vs. non-chronic homelessness is correct. But its also a bit misleading, because the chronically homeless consume a lot more resources and are a lot more difficult to help. In canada at least, the chronically homeless consume over half of the resources for helping the homeless despite being less than 10% of the homeless population. They are also more visible. A quarter to a third of them suffer from mental illness, and many others are addicted to substances, or have never had a stable home.

Your statement that the majority of homeless people don't have mental illness is absolutely correct. I should have referred explicitly to the chronically homeless, it appears, and I emphasize that "many" does not mean "most". My (adjusted) statement is many (but not most) of chronically homeless have mental illness, and form a visible population that could be blended into with minimum cultural knowledge.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote