View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
Donny Brook

Default Re: Fixing round length in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Since the only issue named, and the only one really raised, is the Observe-Orient-Decision-Action loop, and that GURPS rounds mostly consist of all characters doing Action, with no evident Observe or Orient, and less time spent on Decision, I'm curious as to where you got multiple issues from.
My added emphasis and inserted numbers in the quote below indicate how I got to the idea of multiple issues.

Quote:
This is attempt to fix certain problems noted, including that turn lengths make sense on the micro scale, but not on the macro scale. A battle involving 1,000 individuals on each side, still proceeds at 1 second per round, with no game time given to Oberve[1], Orient[2], or Decide[3] in the game time. No time is given to pauses[4], unless rules such as exhaustion mechanics force it. In addition, everyone is clearly shown as perfectly aware[5] of everything that doesn't need an explicit per roll.

Quote:
Quite simply, my proposed house-rules fix this problem by limiting the number of Action... actions you can take (otherwise known as Discrete Actions)
I guess I don't get how forcing inaction creates any more ability to do those things than just letting them choose to do those things with their turns by choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Looking at this while (slightly) more awake, I've realized it's not all that good a solution. I mean, it is a solution; but it's also a blunt instrument.
Maybe you need to find a way to incentivize pauses to reflect and look around, or to disincentivize flat-out action without reflection. An idea I have considered without finalizing is expanding the utility of the Evaluate manouver.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 04-11-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote