View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 01:46 AM   #298
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: Exotic Governmental/Legal Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
The most likely tendency would be to transfer practical power from the jury-officials to the permanent bureaucracy that supposedly serves them.

<snip>

It's a variation on the 'agency problem'. I could imagine various ways a society might try to compensate.
Yup. One of my personal bugbears. Could say more.... but nah.

Quote:
Imagine a large society which chooses its policy-making body by jury-lot, and has them served by separate regional bureaucracies, with separate chains of command and training and so on. It would be inefficient, but you might set it up to get branches of the bureaucrats fighting each other for power instead of working as a body against their supposed employers.
I'd suggest that the citizen jury would be a more appropriate point to review legislation for a governing body.

Given I live in a country which is the figment of seven competing states, I don't like the regional bureaucracies model. That gave Australia three different rail gauges.

But from a game related setting meta point of view, bring on Kafka...

Quote:
Another approach might be to have private (in a sense) contractors who do the bureaucratic administration, competing to get this 5-year 'contract' from the policy-making body. Members of the policy-making body can never be employed by these companies.
Nice. Could make a real world comment... but darn it, decorum.

Quote:
No approach is going to be perfectly effective, though, any human-made and human-run system can at least potentially be gamed.

*Cough* Republican Rome, and the various shenanigans of different senators and consuls.*cough*