Old 06-10-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: [Sci-fi, Psionics] Help with character skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arith Winterfell View Post
Original skill set:
Expert Skill (Psionics)
Hidden Lore (Psions)
Psychology (Human) (as opposed to the aliens in the setting)
Interrogation (for obvious reasons)
[Brainwashing] (was here, but cut it as I felt it was not needed due to mental surgery)
Electronic Operations (Psychotronics)
Computer Operation \ TL 10
Savoir-Faire (Military) (Not sure if this is needed, maybe something else??)
Administration (Again not sure if needed)
Mental Block (partly for dealing with other telepaths)
Research \ TL 10
Detect Lies (this one is crucial for figuring out if target is lying about information)
First Aid \ TL 10
Diplomacy
Intimidation
Beam Weapon (Pistol)
Knife
Brawling
Area Knowledge (Rilani Sector)
Literature
Public Speaking
Observation
Writing

Second part of background skills:
Vacc Suit \ TL 10
Free Fall
Spacer \ TL 10
Stealth
Electronic Operations (Sensors) \ TL 10
Psis seem to be a secretive minority in their native culture, but a known one. I don't think that's what Hidden Lore is normally used for. We don't have skills like Hidden Lore (Jews) or Hidden Lore (Gays).

The character as described seems to be more a cop than a soldier, which suggests Savoir-Faire (Police) rather than (Miiitary). Criminology might also be relevant, and perhaps even Forensics (if psi leaves identifiable traces) or Intelligence Analysis (if psis have secretive groups).

If the character is a telepath I'm not sure why they would need Detect Lies. Though you might use the GURPS Powers suggestion of letting a telepath get +2 to Detect Lies (it's as if they always have a lie detector) or even +4 (they have a miraculous awareness of the subject's mental state that goes beyond what the best equipment will allow)—and then let them get by with only minimal points in the Detect Lies skill. This is a lot like their not needing Brainwashing.

With the original background, I don't see why this character would have Diplomacy or Public Speaking. How often is an investigator called on to make speeches to the public? As for Diplomacy, when they're dealing with suspects, they can use Intimidation or Interrogation, and when they're dealing with their own organization, they can use Administration (to deal with their superiors) or Savoir-Faire (Police) (to get along with other cops).

If they do undercover work, or did, Acting seems indicated.

Were they assigned a vehicle to use, and did they have Driving, Pilot, or even Boating?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote