View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Tech books are cumulative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post

Here's an example of what I'm looking at. Low-Tech has a table of containers. High-Tech has a small section on containers that emerge starting in TL5, mostly having to do with superior materials. If we imagine a game set in TL8 and a GM who has only High-Tech, then that GM won't have the containers for, say, glass bottles. So would you, as GM, feel pressured by this to have Low-Tech so you'd have "missing" items like this?
Maybe not the best example, TLs 1-4 make glass bottles but they don't mass produce them. The numbers would ahve to be quite broad to deal with so many individually made bottles and exact numbers on glass bottles are a "meh" thing for actual TL8. ATE might care.

An exampel that I did end up nedign multiple books for was when I was stocking a TL9 Life Pod as a thought exercise...

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=158442

(warning there's at least 9 pages)

I ended up needing to go to HT for modern lightweight backpacks and one-man tents. I had to go to Infinite Worlds for solar cells.

It may be unavoidable that UT is a little hit-and-miss with the potential ground it has to cover but 2 pages that updated the 2 pages of gear in Characters would be nice.