View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 06:27 AM   #30
Icelander

Default Re: How to be a Likable character

For me, players respond very differently to different types of NPCs and their traits. Some like NPCs that need their help and protection; whereas others but grudgingly accept having to take care of 'useless' NPCs.

Some players resent competent NPCs doing cool stuff around them, preferring that their PCs have a monopoly on that, whereas other players are primarily interested in experts, champions and heroes; variously wanting to befriend such people, get training from them, improve their reputations by associating with them or even work hard to prove themselves better than them at something.

This can be used in a positive way, as I can predict to some extent which player and thus PC is likely to be interested in a given NPC. I can introduce a legendary Master of Defence to pique the interest of the player whose PC wants to master all weapons and be acknowledged as the greatest warrior in the land. I can introduce a bumbling, reckless and adventurous lad of noble blood to appeal to those who like saving NPCs as well as those who like developing powerful allies*.

Other players appreciate NPCs who have a connection to their backstories or goals, such as being the son of an old enemy or a great-nephew of the PC himself.** Some like NPCs that are initially hard to impress, but speak volumes about the awesomeness of the PC once he has managed to perform up to their standards. Others like villages of NPCs that will cheer them on sight, due to the strength of their already-earned Reputations.

Most of my players seem to share an appreciation for two things. First, all of them will adopt some NPCs as 'theirs', for one reason or another, and afterwards, will look with favour upon all things that improve the lot of that NPC and with deadly disfavour upon any threats to him or her. Second, wit and a sense of humour are traits that all of my players tend to like in NPCs and hugely increase the odds that they'll remember them and like them.

*His father is quite thankful to the knight who takes him as a squire and keeps him out of trouble.
**The PC spent a century in Hell before starting play.