View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 03:06 AM   #69
Lovewyrm

Default Re: Questions while reading rules more accurately...

I haven't watched cricket, but I edited my post about ranged attacks.

I'll echo it.

Furthermore, dodging a ranged attack doesn't dodge the bullet or the arrow, it means you MOVE in a way that makes the shooter miss.
You're not retreating.
You're not doing a retreating dodge (unless you are, but those tend to shift body posture you start RUNNING etc) you merely MOVE in a way that makes the other guy miss. You're not waiting for the bullet, step around it and end up in the same spot.

Edit:
And yeah, the fact that a yard is big is the reason why I consider the video linked at me 'normal fighting'.
Walking around is normal to sword fighting. Otherwise it's, I dunno, whiffle batting or something.

You don't see it often where two sword fighters stand around stock still only dodging the sword as it comes at them. It hapens too, I guess but it's not the core of fighting.
This stepping around is just a standard effect of fighting. Noone is retreating or breaking off. They're both committed. Just like boxers are comitted to keep boxing after a clinch but they don't wanna retreat on their own (since that leaves them open) so the referee breaks them up.

Oh yeah!
Or in other words:
Who of them is doing EXTRA STEPS? Do any of these fights come across like where one of them is going extra far, every 'turn'?
How often does it seem like "Oh in this swing he took EXTRA movement"

Maybe here or there, but not every attack. Tht would be unnatural. It's not impossible. I never said it's impossible, just that it ranges from goofy to exhausting.

And also once again:
Good luck swordfighting if one of them stepped forward into body contact.
Enjoy those awkward swings then.
In order to have a normal sword fight, you have to have spacing.

Last edited by Lovewyrm; 04-29-2022 at 03:19 AM.