View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 03:41 AM   #37
Prince Charon

Default Re: GURPS Shadowgun [Brainstorm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Path Adept only reduces the time for Energy Accumulation for the first gathering roll only (Thaumatology, p. 135).
Unless of course you take a second level of Path/Book Adept (Time). I don't have a cite, but I do recall that being used before GURPS Monser Hunters came out. That also only applies to Energy Accumulating magic, not Effect Shaping. So no, RPM still isn't faster.

OK, I think I see what the problem is, and I'm probably as much to blame as you are: RPM is a worked example of Path/Book Magic. You're assuming that I'm suggesting using the basic PBM worked example straight from GURPS Thaumatology without modifications for Shadowgun, which I'm not, but clearly I was being too vague on that. Simply removing some limits and making other small modifications to PBM to fit the setting would work fine, and it would be easier than trying to change RPM to fit the setting, since PBM as written is pretty clearly a framework to build the system from, whereas RPM is a fully formed system based on it (and also based on Syntactic Magic to a degree, and perhaps other things).

EDIT: Might as well mention this as well: Conditional Rituals is one of the entries on Thaumatology p138.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 03-27-2020 at 03:44 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote