View Single Post
Old 08-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #35
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Spelljammer 5e, are you going to try it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
If you do find how the transition works, would you mind summarizing it here? From what I can tell, the elimination of crystal sphere/phlogiston is the major change (excluding minor tweaks) between 5E and 2E, so I'm curious how it works.

(Obviously, encounters for the Astral Plane will be different than in the Phlogiston as well, but I have a good grasp of how D&D envisions the astral already).
I was trying to wait until I'd finished my cover-to-cover to do more comentary. I have just the adventure itself to go. Alledgedly the two spheres "detailed" (I use that word sparingly for 5e) are the worked examples Astromancer wanted.

Perhaps as big as the Phlogiston/Astral Space swap is the change in Helms. In te new version making your own Helm takes a 5th leel spell and a not very specific 5000 gp material componenet. The Helm created appears to be permanent and while it still requires a spellcaster it doesn't seem to drain their magic powers.

Also, tactical speed for each ship class is listed in its' stat block and does not vary depending on who's at the Helm.

Also there are only 2 types of common sip's weapons (the Giff Bombard ship is an exception)