View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #46
Danukian

Default Re: Glass Bottle vs. 9 mm Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
The bottle described in this thread was produced since TL2. It's not a piece of delicate and elegant home tableware: it was meant for "long-term transport". I suspect that it has HP 3 because its glass is way thicker than the average modern-day small bottle's.
Yeah, even 19th Century glass was significantly thicker than the machine-blown stuff around in most uses today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraydak View Post
The problem comes with the wound multiplier. GURPS implicitly assumes that the cross-sectional radius of the impactor is much smaller (but not much, much smaller) than the cross-sectional radius of the target. In the case of bullets vs. small targets, the effective cross-sectional radius of the bullet/temporary wound cavity/whatever is often larger than the target, and the wound multiplier should rise way above the GURPS maximum of 2, even for non-living targets.
I can agree with this. I was thinking that if an object couldn't survive the impact of a force poking through it's surface, it isn't homogenous - otherwise bullets won't break bottles and scissors would do half damage to construction paper. I have long house ruled that brittle objects take 1.5 or 2x (depending on the size of both the target and the striking object) from crushing and sonic attacks, It must have slipped into my memory banks as RAW!