View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 11:53 PM   #23
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Fantasy powered armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I think we might have different visions: my vision of power armour is something that encloses the human body and lets the fighter inside wear more armour and weapons than a human can move on their own (as well as providing its own atmosphere and maybe a means of motion like jump jets or contragravity lift). Its not so much about making the wearer stronger or faster. But that gets back to "if the OP can explain what he wants this power armour to to and what role it should have in the story (standard-issue military kit? unique ensouled creations? something the big bad's bodyguards wear?) the forum might have more suggestions."
I think it would be difficult for the armor to let the wearer carry more armor and weapons than humanly possible while not giving them additional strength for other purposes. And fantasy power armor almost certainly wants strength-augmentation because it likely uses strength-based weapons.

Speed certainly varies with the concept. MI are very mobile indeed but some armors trudge instead.

More armor than a human could reasonably carry fits within what I described, though. DR 10-14 full-body coverage is ridiculously heavy - it might be technically possible to wear but you'd need to be superhuman to fight in it if it didn't bear its own weight. But it would have little more difficulty fitting into places than a person in ordinary plate. (I did say extra weight would be avoided, didn't I, that was wrong - unless the armor flies anyway.) Magical climate control by many rules could even be provided by a small piece of jewelry that works with or without the armor.

Not sure what carrying more weapons would look like. Fantasy doesn't usually have support weapon analogues. A two-handed melee weapon and maybe a bow, each scaled to suit-augmented strength, are as far as I can think unless there's some kind of magitech armaments about.