View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #42
Xplo

Default Re: New to GURPs; not sure where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel
Fallout was based on the GURPs system from what I understand.
As I understand it, that was the original plan, but the two companies had irreconcilable differences over how the GURPS IP was being used.

The SPECIAL system that Fallout eventually got isn't really that much like GURPS, but there are some similarities.

Quote:
I would feel uncomfortable telling a dwarf pc that he's not allowed to be friends with an elf pc or that he's required to react in a negative way toward elves (for an example.) When creating a race I would be sure to have information available which discusses that race's outlook on things, but I'd prefer that the player roleplay those things willingly and not be forced to do so. If the player roleplays their character differently then I would imagine they would have a reason for thinking differently than a typical member of their race.
- Remember when you're designing a race template that nearly every member of the race will fit that template (and the ones who don't are probably freaks of nature and/or crazy, depending). This means, for instance, that you shouldn't make dwarves have Intolerance: Elves unless you really want every dwarf in the world to be some kind of racist. Instead, you could add something like "many dwarves have Intolerance: Elves" to your description, and then players could choose whether or not they want to play an Intolerant dwarf.

- Also remember that, for the most part, players choose disadvantages when designing their characters. You're not really forcing them to do anything except what they said they'd do. If they decide that they're not happy playing that disadvantage after all, then you might allow them to buy it off with earned points. Or, if they're not happy with the character at all, they might retire the character and bring in a new one. Some GMs allow players to redesign characters somewhat during their first few sessions, if they feel that the way they want to play the character is different from the way the character was originally designed.

- Also remember that you're free to forbid disadvantages or even entire characters if they're inappropriate for your game. In this case, you might have looked at the Intolerant dwarf and said "hey, wait, this isn't going to work with the elf in the party!" You could then have pointed out that PCs shouldn't consider each other scum before they've even met and you'd like him to make his character fit with the rest of the party.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote