View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #43
Icelander

Default Re: UH-1 Huey for Maritime CSAR/TRAP/Medevac/Casevac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
I couldn't find any other smaller helicopters with a boat hull design besides the HH-52. Most seem to be in the size range of the S-61. The Russian Mi-8, for instance, is larger than the S-61.
I wonder if the Mi-8 could be converted into a Mil Mi-14 or if the boat hull requires it to be built that way from the start. I assume that's the case.

It's actually likely that Kessler's people tried to use their connections in the international arms trade* to obtain Soviet amphibious SAR helicopters in the early 90s. Maybe they managed to acquire one Mi-14, to go with a Mi-8 or two.

*Kessler has some old buddies who were moderately successful in the grayish-to-black field of that business. These profited wildly from the fall of the Soviet Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
However, if you needed amphibious ability in a smaller sized helicopter, you could apparently put floats on the skids of a UH-1 (which also probably means it is sufficiently resistant to salt water for ship board use):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41910848@N06/34634527610

Actually, you can probably find a way to put floats on many helicopters with skids, but I am sure there is a performance hit.
Great, thanks!