View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #35
Icelander

Default Re: UH-1 Huey for Maritime CSAR/TRAP/Medevac/Casevac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
http://www.nhahistoricalsociety.org/...opter-history/

There, with a handy wall poster that shows no Hueys in Coast Guard service.

I know Hueys landed on Navy ships occaisionally but the picture in my memory is from a Huey doing that during the evacuation of the US Embassy in Saigon in 1975. After the last flight out at least one of those Hueys got pushed over the side because that carrier had no place to put it.

The link above is the result of agoogle search for helicopter coast guard history. I bet if you substitute navy for coast guard you can get amatching one.
Interesting, thanks.

Wikipedia says that Hueys were used by every branch of the US military, but I still haven't found a source that explains the USCG use. I suspect that if you search hard enough, you can find evidence that nearly every piece of equipment issued in one branch has at some point been used operationally by a member of another branch, so maybe it's merely a function of USCG LEDET teams having been aboard USN UH-1 helicopters or something.

Or it could be counting the use of Hueys during Operation Snowcap, as the USCG sent teams to assist the DEA and BORTAC with riverine operations and these also conducted helicopter-borne operations.

In any case, what is the rough equivalent to the Huey in terms of technological sophistication, expense and size that is designed for operations from cutters, ships or yachts?