View Single Post
Old 06-11-2022, 03:04 AM   #15
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Suggestion for someone returning to GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
After not really looking at GURPS as a system for about 25 years, I kind of want to give it another try ... I don't yet have players for it, but my online group might actually be willing to humor me at some point.
Welcome back!

Quote:
I'm not quite ready to make the (expensive) dive and buy the 4th Edition Basic Set - I still own the third edition (in German), and feel more or less familiar with the tenets of the system, which should be (hopefully?) enough to make sense of the supplements that interest me, in comination with GURPS Lite. If the supplements spawn a campaign idea, I'll probably buy the current Basic Set.

Anyway, this is the stuff that interests me, and this thread is me asking for further recommendations around them:
Speaking as someone who initially resisted the 3e/4e jump, I have not regretted it for a second.

Quote:
GURPS Banestorm [snip] GURPS Horror and Madness Dossier [snip] Madness Dossier looks like a great setting idea, though I'm not so much into the idea of high-powered PCs for a horror campaign, and the list of recommended supplements Kenneth Hite provides in the beginning is slightly intimidating (not just Horror, but also 3 different Psionic supplements, Martial Arts and Action!).
Your taste is your own and the Fun Police ain't gonna come to your house. That said, using the materials that make sense will save you a lot of work because someone else has already done it for you. Madness Dossier feels a lot like Grant Morrison's The Invisibles to me, and there is no way I would run a campaign based on The Invisibles without Action!, all the Psionics stuff, and Martial Arts on my desk.

Quote:
So, please, cheer me on!
You got this.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote