View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #49
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Allies and Ally Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If a Contact is just an externalized skill...
...then I need someone to justify existence of Contacts and it still needs a major overhaul.

We can apply this same kind of logic to Patrons and Allies; even when they are designed as fully realized characters, your interaction with them can be extremely limited. Conversely, treating Contacts as no more than an externalized skill is begging for someone to "see the strings" because either you've got to be a master GM. Why? You're just begging for something to happen where you've either got to carefully keep your game from getting to a point where players have a chance to really interact with the Contact or design said Contact on the fly when the former eventually fails.

In fiction, while Contacts are usually away from the action, not all are. Much like an Ally, a regular and frequent Contact strikes me as a potential Dependent; you aren't especially close but especially if its a Contact your enemies perceive as valuable to you (or simply one prone to getting himself into trouble), that's not something I just pulled out of thin air.

If we are really worried about simplicity... shouldn't Contacts just be hirelings?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote