View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #45
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Allies and Ally Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I'm of the opinion that designing a whole character for each contact would make them a pain for the GM.
Probably, though personally I would be a lot more willing to deal with that than with a Contact as written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If a Contact is just an externalized skill, then a full character sheet is overkill. If you are going to unify these traits it needs to include everything these traits do now, including everything from your brother that fights by your side, to summonable zombie hordes, to super Sentinel giant robots, to the guy at DMV who owes you favors, to the Professor who gives you magical artifacts and missions, to the FBI.
The problem is that a Contact, as written, is not just an externalized skill. It sort of looks like it wants to be, but at the same time it constantly hints at concessions to the Advantage actually representing a person who does favors.

Without those concessions it looks a bit overly game-y, but with them it becomes a dubiously-defined mess.

(The price of Contacts is a separate issue, here.)

For Contacts, I tend to think Dresden Files, and then to think about how pretty much every character Harry deals with that way winds up doing things a GURPS Contact wouldn't do, but also not remotely acting like people expect from an Ally.