View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #56
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: New to GURPs; not sure where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel
What I was saying earlier was that in general I'd rather have my players roleplay minor quirks willingly rather than have mechanics attached to them. In the case of things such as a fear of heights, bloodlust, extreme greed, and things of that nature I would strongly enforce those because those seem like stronger mental compulsions to me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't want to be a total character-nazi about minor quirks...especially when trying to introduce new people to the system. That's not to say I would be a push over; I would enforce things if people were gaining a benefit from it, but I generally prefer that minor quirks be roleplayed willingly.
GURPS has you covered. If it's a minor thing that they're expected to roleplay but can ignore when it would be really harmful, it's a Quirk and they get 1 point for it. My characters tend to have Quirk versions of full-blown Disadvantages a lot, and I often don't come anywhere near the campaign Disadvantage limit because I like my free will.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote