View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #52
whswhs

Default Re: New to GURPs; not sure where to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel
What I was trying to say in my earlier post was that I was considering not having those "faults" available. Dwarves might not like elves, but I would expect my players to roleplay that on their own and not have the GM (me) tell them how to roleplay their character. After all, it is their character.
Yes, it is, but if they put a mental disadvantage down on their character sheet, it's not YOU telling them how to roleplay; it's THEM telling you that they intend to roleplay a certain way. If they don't actually want to roleplay the trait, it's their responsibility not to take it.

Certainly, it's possible to take a mental disadvantage with a (15), which means the character will nearly always resist it, or a (12), which means they'll resist it the majority of the time. But on the other hand, if the player is constantly saying, "I don't want to have my character go out looking for a party!" they really shouldn't have taken Compulsive Carousing in the first place. At the very least, they ought to roleplay being tempted and struggling with their own desires.

Players don't always realize this; a certain type of player mentality looks at Bloodlust and thinks "That could get me an extra 20 points to spend on weapons skills!" and doesn't think about being required to go for killing blows all the time, or cut the throats of the fallen, or whatever. And then they either don't use deadly force, or use it and expect there to be no consequences. It's your job as GM to make it clear to them that they will be expected to roleplay whatever they put on their character sheets . . . so they had better make sure that's what they want to roleplay.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote