View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #122
DangerousThing

Default Re: Skills - maybe this game isn't what I'm looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
Agreed, and in fact supported in GURPS Tactical Shooting. The sidebar on p.42 lists street criminals, irregulars, and untrained armed citizens at default skill level.

11 is feasible for beat cops and drafted soldiers, as well as trained paramilitary.

13 is for routine hunters, professional soldiers.

Higher than that and you're looking at people who are inherently remarkable.
Most beat cops have never been in a firefight.

I don't know about paramilitary, but that covers a lot of ground.

Hunters rarely have to worry about their prey shooting back. Therefore, like snipers, they can make things as advantageous as possible.

Professional soldiers are a huge category. I've known some that can shoot well and others who could barely qualify at the range.

The problem, as I see it, is a discrepancy between two types of shooting: long range and short range. The long range shooters can take their time and aim. The short range shooters typically have somebody shooting back at them. I run a fairly cinematic game, so I suggest that pc's have a relatively high firearms skill (15-18) because of the penalties that can occur.

I understand that a low skill is fairly realistic, but this isn't typically how the heroes in an action or scifi books shoot. Think of Northwest Smith -- when he shoots, the bodies start dropping, usually one shot, one body. True, he's probably about a 250 point character.

And yes, I do keep most of my NPC's to fairly low levels of firearms (around 10-14, depending; many young criminals use their default). Only the named henchpeople get the ridiculous levels of skills (15-16).
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote