Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers

All things cycle through
Earth, water, fire, metal, wood
Always, that is Tao
— Some hack
The cynics figured it was a fluke when we published GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, and merely snorted when GURPS Zombies came shambling right after. They took Pyramid #3/60: Dungeon Fantasy III for granted. However, they couldn't help but be awed by GURPS Locations: St. George's Cathedral (an impressive structure, to be sure) . . . and a week later, they were genuinely surprised when GURPS Martial Arts: Yrth Fighting Styles jumped them. The fact is, e23 is on a roll. It is only fitting, then, that after rolling through five supplements in just over a month, it returns once more to the GURPS Thaumatology series with GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers.

One puzzle of GURPS Powers is "How do I construct a good system of interrelated powers?" A common question about GURPS Thaumatology is "How do I break away from spells and present magic as powers?" GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers balances the yin of magic and the yang of powers to offer you something that is both . . . and neither. Though it might not lead you to enlightenment, it should at least make it a lot easier to combine powers and magic in your campaign!

Contents include five completely worked powers, each with both internal and external disciplines. These come with not only a huge catalog of cool and flavorful abilities, but also new uses for skills that were previously of dubious value, ways to connect all this to Chinese martial arts, and a dose of well-researched real-world mysticism for good measure. Whether your goal is to run a heroic campaign set in mythic China, power up a Chinese-themed superhero, toss a little Eastern flavor into your fantasy campaign, or just learn how to build powers, you're bound to find this supplement valuable.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote