View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 08:49 PM   #8
Plane

Default Re: Defensive Attack and Unready weapons

One strange thing I always wondered about B269:
“U” means the weapon is unbalanced: you cannot use it to parry if you have already used it to attack this turn (or vice versa).
Why is there a vice versa? I thought your "turn" began with your maneuver, so your inability to parry would count for the rest of your turn until your next one started...

About the only situation I can see a vice-versa mattering is if someone interrupted your Step>Attack w/ a Wait, so you parried first and then did your attack after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
It's more correct to say that Unbalanced weapons pretty much always become Unready weapons after use.
B271's axe/mace weapons have a bunch of Parry 0U ones w/o any special dagger (single or double) on their ST... also the case for the Bastard Sword wielded 1H via Broadsword skill

also case for the Flail on B272

only really see single/double dagger stuff emerge for ST on the polearms further down on B272...

but B270 rules allow you to ignore that for double-daggar weapons if you have 1.5x the strength req, such as wielding a poleaxe w/ ST 18

- - -

this gives me an idea for an optional house rule that could be interesting... wondering what people think of it

We know if you have ST 12 you can wield a poleaxe without penalty... whereas you would be -1 to DX if you wielded it w/ ST 11.

But you suffer the usual problem of a double-dagger weapon: it becomes unready after each attack!

The same thing applies at ST 17 ... unlike ST 18 (it does not become unready) you're still suffering the unreadiness, at no advantage compared to ST11 besides the damage.

so my idea is: you can enjoy the benefit of 1.5x ST (no unreadiness) but only if you take DX penalties appropriate as if the 1.5x ST requirement was the ST srequirement

So for example the ST 12 person who wants to avoid unreadying his poleaxe has to suffer -6 to DX when using it, while the ST17 person only suffers -1 to DX.

This basically would reflect a sliding scale of how difficult it would be to attack without unreadying the weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Unless you have three arms or something. Or are using some other method to recover it. Isn't there an Exta Effort that does this?
Not that I can find, MA131 has "Rapid RecoverY" but that's just to emulate the Defensive Attack benefit of being able to parry with unbalanced weapons, it doesn't ready an unready weapon.

using a Ready w/o a Ready maneuver is usually covered by the Fast Draw skill but I think you need to try those at the start of a maneuver so I can't see it helping in a "lose your parry for the rest of the turn" situation

Last edited by Plane; 02-14-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote