View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 05:29 AM   #50
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Vile Vortices and Supernatural Threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
From the map, those lozenges seem to cover 15-degree squares of lat/long. They're lozenge-shaped because of the funky map projection.

Puerto Rico to Roanoke is 18 degrees of latitude, so it's not that far off. It would easily fit in a lozenge not aligned with lat/long lines if you rotated it. But if it also has to include the Yucatan, it gets harder, mostly because of the east-west distance. (Bermuda 32.3 N 67.8 W; Yucatan 18.8 N 89 W; Roanoke 35.9 N 75.7 W)
I guess I hadn't even considered the Yucatan.

I know I want most of the East Coast to be (mostly) safely outside, so even if parts of the lozenge stretch up almost to Roanoke, the area should run mostly along the coastline, not reaching inland much, if at all, in Florida or the Carolinas.

Canonically (i.e. something I've officially established in play), the islands of St. Lucia and Domincia, in the Caribbean, are also outside of the Vile Vortex, though fairly close. This is a major factor in Kessler using them as safe refuges and bases to operate in the southern part of the Vile Vortex. The local mana levels are about as high as you'll find outside a Vile Vortex, but the risks of supernatural invasions appear comparatively low. In addition, there are some Places of Power there, especially on Domincia, where the mana is aspected toward nature, life and some benevolent protective force.

The island of Hispaniola, home to Haiti and the Domincian Republic, might not occupy the exact geographic center of the Vile Vortex, but it's certainly a focal point of some sort for patanormal activity. Jamaica, Cuba and the Bahamas are also solidly within the affected area, though it wouldn't break anything for only part of Cuba to technically fit into the Vile Vortex. Other Caribbean islands may or may not fit within the Vile Vortex itself, we'll see how it comes out if we try for a posiition based on my goals at the ends.

I plan to have plenty of weirdness in the coastal parts of Central America that lie close to the Caribbean and in areas of Colombia, Venezuela and Gyuana, but these might be linked the Vile Vortex by ley line or otherwise have effects caused by proximity and mana flows between Vile Vortices, it's not necessary that they fit within the lozenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
It would be a bizarre coincidence for the Vortices to happen to coincide with pentaphilic round numbers in an arbitrary coordinate system. So clearly that's not arbitrary. The Babylonians were on to something fundamental with their base 60 math, and equally it is not just an arbitrary or self-interested choice of Greenwich by overweening Englishmen that that longitude is the zero point. (It runs through Algeria and Mali, for instance; Timbuktu is 3 W. But then, scientists that have forgotten the real purpose of the lines have moved them a bit from their original placement.)
Ah, excellent.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-08-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote