View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
phiwum

Default Re: Dazzle gems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Hi Lars,
Yes and then you also get into things like:

- which way is every one facing? does it affect those not facing the flash.

- if closing your eyes works, then the wizard signals his team and they close the eyes for while he cast Dazzle. Then what else did they miss while eyes closed? How do you play that?

- What are the chances that a foe actually blinked at the wrong moment and missed your flash?

- What if your foe is a wizard and he recognizes what you are casting. Does he get a saving roll vs IQ? Or does he just know when to close his eyes.

etc

OR, take psychic flash at face value. It's easier this way and looks to be the intent of the game. All with sighted creatures within 5 MHx; taken literally.
I don't think Lars's suggestion needs to be that complicated. The question is whether a psychic flash goes through solid walls. We all agree that closing your eyes or turning your back shouldn't work, because it's psychic. Whether solid structures inhibit psychic waves or not is a bit less clear.

Same thing applies to the question why a psychic flash only affects sighted critters. Maybe it messes with the strictly visual part of the mind.

I'm okay with houseruling variations on dazzle, obviously, but in this case I'll take the literal RAW. It's psychic and affects every sighted critter within 5MH. No easy use of the dazzle gem without blinding your party. Given the cost of the gem, that's a pretty good limitation.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote