View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
coronatiger

Default Session 11 (2020-01-12)

17th of Varatga, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

I met my traveling companions to be at the Handsome Elf after breakfast and played moklatar with Lunari. He had hand-carved the pieces for the board game himself, and proudly told me that he had gathered the wood for them from all around the world, on his travels.

Odin arrived with a note for Lunari. The two of them go way back, I gathered. This was evidently what they’d been waiting for, for Xipil asked if I needed help with my luggage. I accepted his offer, but strolled over to where Odin had seated himself first. I told Xipil I wanted to say goodbye to Odin, but in fact, I asked if there was anything I needed to know. Lunari had made sure I didn’t see the note. Odin pulled my head closer, as if to give me a kiss on the cheek, and hissed that I needed to watch out for them. I asked if that was because they were dangerous, or because they needed protection, and he just chuckled. Both, I guess.

Xipil and I went to Sissi’s, and I introduced them. Sissi brought out my backpack and waterskin, and I armed myself, biting each of my four knives ritually while Sissi distracted Xipil with small talk. Then I put on my cloak, hiding the blades from view. I handed the backpack to Xipil. It was a lot heavier than the waterskin, but I figured since he had offered to help me, maybe he wanted to show off. I was wrong. He thought it was too heavy for him, and suggested we’d carry it between us. I shouldered the backpack and gave him the waterskin instead.

We met Grogg and Lunari outside the Salt Guild. Lunari was playing the violin when we arrived, a melancholy tune, but he put it down and went inside. He came back out with a large wagon a little later. It was very fine, and had four dwarves on top, two drivers and two guards. We’ll be traveling in style, it appears. Another dwarf, wearing a broad-brimmed hat with a veil covering the eyes, came out and approached Lunari, thanking him for their adventures, and wishing him luck on this one. Lunari gave a metal ring, almost large enough to slip onto my wrist, to Grogg and a small bottle, presumably a potion or a poison, to Xipil. He counted out twenty coins as well to the lizard-man, and my eyebrows rose when I noticed that it was gold. I have three silver pieces and three copper pieces in my pouch. Luckily, the others are paying for me. I wouldn’t get far on my slender purse.

Lunari explained to Grogg about how to drink alcohol in a sensible manner. There must be some story behind this. Maybe they’ll tell me; we have a long way to go.

We stopped at a farm just outside the city, where Baldrian was waiting. He had his own wagon, which was filled up with crates and boxes, and a companion who I guessed was a guard. He was a little concerned about the Salt Guild wagon. I don’t know why. Lunari said that the finer wagon only was going as far as Fort Holte, the border town overlooking the pass that led to Arland. The two wagons would travel together that far, and then we’d come and ride with Baldrian.

Lunari, Xipil and I rode in the fancy wagon, with Grogg on top, so he could stretch out his legs. I told the others a little about myself, that I’m religious was obvious to them, so I explained that I had left home to see the world, and to offer my services as a medicine worker. Maybe I’d find a physician to apprentice myself to, although my skills were advanced enough I could make a living with them. Turning the conversation to Arland, I discovered that I needed to correct a few misgivings that Lunari and Xipil shared.

We found a place to rest for the night just before Tovre, with a farmer Baldrian knew. I asked the farmer respectfully where I could pitch my tent, but he just waved his arm and said anywhere I’d like, as long as I didn’t trample his grain crop. I raised my tent near the wagons and went inside to remove my belt of knives in private. I put my weapons into the backpack and retrieved my toothbrush, listening to the chatter outside with half an ear while I made ready for sleep. I closed the backpack so it would be ready to go in an instant, and wrapped my cloak around me as I lay down.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

18th of Varatga, year 412

I said my morning prayer, rolled up my tent, tied it to my pack, and joined the others for breakfast. Over the meal, we discussed religious signs and gestures, for the others noticed how Baldrian and I lifted each food item in praise before biting into them. I revealed that You are my Lady, the great Mother of Snakes.

While we traveled, Xipil and Lunari told me a little about themselves. Xipil came from a foreign land, far to the south, but Lunari was from the Prince’s Cities. They had met by chance in the jungle, while Lunari and Grogg was traveling with the Salt Guild dwarf. Krupik, his name was. On their travels, they had encountered some grey-skinned humans who worshipped a death god. What little they had learned about that god, struck me as wrong. A god of death shouldn’t be like that. You are the true master of death, Ashtar. I’d never heard of those people or their god, and I said as much.

We talked about medicine and herbs as well. Lunari showed me a pouch of black crystals, and asked if I knew what it was. I told him I knew it as “crow’s toes”, and that he should be careful with it. While it strengthens the will of someone who takes it, the crystals are highly hallucinogenic, and can be dangerous if taken too often or for too long. Outside, Grogg started singing a wordless melody, trying to sound like a raven. I told Lunari and Xipil that ravens, while not necessarily evil, were not to be trusted.

In the evening, we arrived at another farm known to Baldrian. I didn’t think much of it yesterday, but when he did it again, I noticed that Baldrian deliberately hid his wagon from view from the road. Either he’s carrying valuable goods in his inconspicuous wagon, or he’s carrying contraband. Most likely both. I decided to consult him about my box.

Lunari suggested stargazing. Elves are known as children of the stars, and he told me all about them while we lay in the grass, looking up at the sky. Xipil meditated, but Grogg was sitting with the ring Lunari had given him, watching the celestial bodies through it. I asked if I could have a look, and I saw there was something weird going on with the moon, as if it was of a color I’d never seen before. Strange. I handed the ring back to him and wished them all a good night.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

19th of Varatga, year 412

We traveled onward. Lunari pulled out his violin and played a merry tune. I tapped the beat with my foot and nodded my head. Lunari sang along to the next melody. It was about a nobleman who got a farmer’s daughter drunk and lured her out of her clothes. I sniffed and turned to look out the window at the terrain rolling by.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote