View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #59
coronatiger

Default Session 13 (2019-03-23)

Thoughts on August 22nd

Lady Karita, Olivia and I returned to the horse market in the mid-morning. I brought Lightfoot, so we’d have a horse of known capabilities for comparison. Stable grooms saddled up our new horses and we all went outside the city. The horses performed as promised, and we left a small fortune with the previous owner.

With our newfound wealth, Olivia and I decided we needed another coin purse, so I asked Kine to go buy a waterskin and a pouch, for I didn’t want to see the leatherworker until Lady Karita had laid a plan. Olivia filled the waterskin with lamp oil, and refilled our old ones. We would need it before long, if we were going to search for Chaotic scriptures in the underworld.

In the afternoon, everyone went back outside the walls. Va’lyndra wanted to try out the new magic items, in particular the dueling bill. She felt bad handling the weapon, and Kine did as well, but neither Lady Karita nor I felt anything. Va’lyndra tried to strike a tree. Nothing magical happened as far as I could see, and she still had that bad feeling. Then she asked Kine to hit her with the weapon. Kine poked lightly at her, barely strong enough to blood, but there was a flash of silver as she struck, and Va’lyndra dropped to the ground, bleeding profusely. Olivia leapt into action and bandaged the wound. I thought it was stupid of Va’lyndra to test the weapon on herself, and she was lucky I had brought Olivia.

I nearly wept when Lady Karita asked Kine to hit her, too. How stupid was it possible to be? Lady Karita had reasoned that since she didn’t get that bad feeling when she handled the weapon, it wouldn’t injure her as grievously as it had Va’lyndra. Fortunately, Lady Karita was right, and I was wrong.

Suddenly, Lady Karita announced that Va’lyndra was spying on us to find out what had happened to Magnar. I let Va’lyndra know that if she wanted to know how he’d died, she could just have asked us. There was no need to spy. I’m not so sure I can trust Va’lyndra anymore. Good thing I didn’t reveal anything to her about the leatherworker.

Speaking of the devil, he waited for us at the Crow and Spruce when Olivia and I returned for the night. Thinking quickly, I confirmed receiving his letter, and fibbed that I had planned to come to his shop tomorrow. We had just arrived back in town, and I hadn’t had time to see him; there had been more urgent matters I needed to deal with first. I offered to report then and there, but he preferred the privacy of his shop, so we agreed to meet in the morning.

Thoughts on August 23rd
I went to see the leatherworker and talked myself into trouble. I told him about Magnar’s death, and that we’d helped liberate victims of kidnapping. I talked about our most recent quest, exploring ruined buildings. I described the dream vision, that we’d encountered powerful flying creatures that killed us again and again, when I suddenly realized I had deviated from the story Lady Karita had told the guild master. I cut it short, saying we went through many loops and then woke up. I think I managed not to reveal anything about the demon statue or the malicious painting. Alfrey gave me five gold pieces for the report, so I guess he was satisfied. Whew!

When I arrived at the Red Mansion to meet Lady Karita, Olivia had already been there for a while. I told Lady Karita what I had reported, that I had tried to stick to her story, but confessed that my mouth had run off on its own. Lady Karita thanked me for being so open with her.

After a short trip to the market, Olivia and I spent the rest of the day at the Crow and Spruce. I danced in the common room, first alone, performing on a table, then with a string of partners. Olivia watched from the corner mending clothes. When the hunger took control of me, I went to bed with the first person to offer. Luckily, that was Olivia, coming to save me from myself. She knows the signs, and is apt at spotting them.

Thoughts on August 24th

Everyone had breakfast at Karita-time at the Red Mansion, like we try to do every day. We were going to stay in town at least until Magnar’s funeral, so I needed something to do until then. I looked up Hess Yggarson, and asked him to set up a show for me, perhaps a private performance for one of the noble houses?

When we regathered for dinner, Va’lyndra announced we were all going to a pub. Immediately. On the way there, Lady Karita took Va’lyndra aside for a private conversation. I asked what Olivia thought about it, if we should be concerned, but she dismissed it as unimportant.

When we arrived at the pub, Va’lyndra explained that today was an elvish holiday, and to celebrate it, we needed to dance. What a coincidence! She and I had discussed elvish dances just yesterday, and I had showed her I knew the intricate steps of the required dance. The others didn’t know the dance, of course, as they were neither elves nor connoisseurs.

So, Va’lyndra and I danced, celebrating a holiday I’d never heard of before. Lady Karita, Kine and Olivia watched and had a few drinks. Lady Karita and Kine, less shy than Olivia, chatted with other customers.

When Va’lyndra declared that we’d danced sufficiently long, Lady Karita told us she’d found a possible buyer for the painting. I’m a little concerned, for the painting is dangerous, but I suppose Lady Karita knows best.

Kine and Va’lyndra started talking about how to create a secret compartment in the wagon that the inspectors at the check point wouldn’t find. I joined the conversation half-heartedly, not really keen on trying to pull one over on the authorities. Two-time offenders would likely be treated more harshly than the slap on the wrist we received a couple of days ago. I could still feel the dance beat pulsing through my veins, and I wished good night to the others, taking Olivia back to the Crow and Spruce for a horizontal tango.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote