View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 03:13 AM   #5
FireHorse

Default Re: How Much Do You Like Scissors & Tape?

Okay, good. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only person who has enough Free Time to do such a thing. :)

malchidael: It would require very little extra effort (really just a few mouse-clicks) for me to produce both a multi-page and a poster-sized version. So I shall.

Skarg: Similarly, it would take very little extra effort to produce a version at 1" scale in addition to 1.5" — it's a simple matter of resizing and rearranging the artboards in the background (under the design). And so I shall. (The smaller scale means fewer sheets of paper to make it, too.)

JLV: All of them? Yikes!

Honestly though, I would like to do just that — inspired partly by David Pulver's "Ships and Boats in TFT" (in Hexagram #1), and partly by my own long-time personal love of adventure stories about sailing (the absolute pinnacle of which is Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series).

I need at least two for my scenario anyway — because it would offend my sensibilities to use the same ship for both sides — and I stubbornly chose a Carrack for one of them, precisely because it is the most complex (it has the most decks), and therefore the most challenging.

And once that's out of the way… well, frankly, all of the other types are ridiculously easy, by comparison. :)

Of course, the types covered in the Hexagram article are only a tiny sample of all the types that could be done — even if we limit the choices to the 14th-15th century and earlier — and the categorical definitions it gives are rather over-simplified.

To cite just one example, it neglects to mention that pretty much all of those "Types" — which are properly defined by styles of construction and rigging and so on — can be built in a very wide range of Sizes.

Which is why the Carrack I'm doing is only ~90 feet in length (and technically only 60 at the waterline), not 120, but it's still a small Carrack, not a large Cog.

But enough of my blather… I have a Gladiator Pit to finish.

Oh, and a postcard…

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-04-2019 at 03:17 AM.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote