View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Mithlas

Default The Hunter and Unkillable

Given that most local gaming groups are more active in that system, I don't have much opportunity to play GURPS. However, I find the cost-balance system of GURPS helps me stabilize and focus characters in the books I write. One of whom is a part-human hybrid who can be injured by mundane weapons, but heals very fast unless the weapon is silver (in which case it hurts a lot more and has a comparable healing time to average humans, with the caveat that he will heal from any non-fatal wound eventually as he can't bleed out). He's a self-styled hunter of these creatures, but I'm trying to figure out exactly how to build it so I make sure the ability is consistent as I write.

He isn't exactly supernaturally strong, but since the failure point of muscles is usually when they start tearing under strain he can continue to push his body past normal human limits and get back up to do it again, something he generally only uses against nonhuman enemies.

These are the (Dis)Advantages that I spotted in the main book that seem relevant, though I'm not sure how to best apply them.
  • Unkillable 1 (p95) never has to roll to avoid death is definitely fitting
  • Regeneration: Very Fast (p80) at least, but only for healing wounds from non-silver sources. Those heal slower, perhaps at standard rate
  • Regrowth (p80) could potentially apply, but none of the plot milestones ever deal with him having limbs chopped off. Most of his major injuries are impaling.
  • Resistant (impaling damage. common?) (p81) some manner of dividing mundane damage could help maintain a degree of parity with his compatriots, as he's joined by other humans who fight and are injured alongside him
  • Resistant (piercing damage. common?) (p81)
  • Damage Resistance (p47) while he's less likely to be stopped by mundane damage, I'm hesistant to use a straight subtractor because he can still be bruised and injured with the rest of his compatriots. Something more like "halves incoming damage" would seem more fitting because it would stop less lower-level damage but provide more protection against massive damage
  • Vulnerability (p161) multiplies the damage from that source, which is appropriate regarding the pain/shock taken from silver but doesn't reflect the fact that a 1kg straight-edged short sword would still only cut to a certain depth in the same swing.
  • Weakness (p161) bypasses defensive abilities, but causes damage at a distance like a radioactive isotope and doesn't reflect that it has to touch him.
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote