View Single Post
Old 07-25-2022, 05:23 AM   #24
Phil Masters

Default Re: [Dungeon Fantasy] Non-East Asian inspirations for Martial Artists (and Ninja)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Friar Tuck is a pretty good inspiration for a martial artist character who's not a knight, gladiator, etc.
I seem to recall that St Benedict promoted the idea of teaching boxing to youths so they'd have a way of defending themselves, and if they really insisted, settling disputes, without carrying and habitually drawing knives - teenage male groups with a lot of knives having a rather tragic death rate. One could imagine an alternate history where that led to a legend of monasteries full of fist-fighting monks in the (Swiss) mountains.

I forget where I saw the idea, but gladiators might be the best candidates to take the role of monk-substitutes in quasi-classical dungeon bash campaigns. Continual combat training, check; enforced ascetic lifestyle, check; lighter armour than is available to close combat fighters in their setting, check; gratuitously weird and exotic combat styles compared to the run of sword-and-board fighters around them, check...

For mystical powers combined with and related to combat training, I guess there's the relationship that apparently existed between Spanish fencing schools and the Hermetic tradition - all very formal and ritualistic. And for that matter, candomblé and capoeira may have some links, I understand.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.

Last edited by Phil Masters; 07-25-2022 at 05:31 AM.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote