View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 06:37 PM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: Creatures and sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
Is there any good rule of thumb when fighting the hex sizes of creatures in ITL or elsewhere. Question rose today when a spell caster wants to know what would constitute 1 hex creature when casting illusion.
If the rules don't say otherwise, then a creature is one hex. At least, that's a general rule of thumb.

Some regulars here have tied critter size in hexes to ST in a way that's roughly consistent with the size of creatures as described in RAW, but it is an inference based on induction and isn't really necessary in day-to-day play.

If the creature he wants to summon up as an illusion isn't listed in ITL, then pick the nearest you can find. A horse, for instance, is two hexes. An elephant is a massive 10 hexes[1]. A rhino must be between the two.

Of course, if he's looking for a one-hex illusion, he's hopefully thinking smaller. Big cats are almost all 2-hex, with the jaguar an exception. Bears are a little less clearly stated. The cave bear is explicitly 2 hexes. I'd put the grizzly as the same. I might put the "less formidable" bears as 1 hex.

I'm kinda curious what he wanted to illusion up.

[1] I'm guessing that this is a megahex plus three hexes on one side.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote