View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
Phil Masters

Default Re: Notes Toward a Steampunk Discworld Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, it's possibly that Detritus is still around, and quite likely that Cheery Littlebottom is, as she was a young dwarf when she joined the Watch. Otto von Chriek may still be photographing for the Times. It's hardly imaginable that Mr. Slant would not be dominating the legal system, as he has for centuries. At fifty years on Carrot Ironfounderson would be getting up there, but need not be dead yet, though I expect he would be gone after a century.

The important thing is that Vetinari is off the scene, and Vimes, and almost surely Lipwig.
I’m inclining more towards the 100 year end of the scale than the 50, because of this sort of thing. Technological progress just has to happen as fast as it happens. But yes, even then, thanks to the longevity of some Discworld races, some characters might still be around.

Cheery and Detritus might have decided to retire back to the mountains, though for reasons which will become clearer, they might not have gone back to Uberwald. I could imagine low-key emotional scenes at Vimes’s funeral, or at Carrot’s. But if they’re still on the Force, I’d use them for specific effects. Assistant Commander Littlebottom gets to be the gruff, stern desk-based chief on whom you do not try to get one over, and whom you don’t ask about her legendary career, because that would oblige her to show sentiment. And Captain Detritus... Ah, now, when we say he’s the bedrock of the station in one of the troll neighbourhoods, we are not engaging in anything as un-trollish as metaphor.

Yes, Otto is still in obsessive pursuit of the perfect photograph; he has a steam car with a miniature studio in the back, of course, and there are silly stories that he uses some kind of vampire precognition to get to crime scenes before the Watch. And yes, Carrot is gone, but he may have left offspring. However, they’ve all been very, very respectfully persuaded to leave the city. The problem with having a bunch of people who all very definitely have no claim whatsoever so the throne of Ankh-Morporkis that it only takes one of them forgetting the script, once... I assume that they’ve taken up sheep farming in FourEcks. It fits with the Victorian style, and they somehow get to save on sheepdogs.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote