View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #24
David Bofinger

Default Re: Why the Bard Talent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
One could easily spend 5 or more points on thief talents [...] merchant talents [...]
These are defining "thief talent" and "merchant talent" broadly, including Streetwise and Recognize Value for thieves, Driver and Charisma for merchants. If I defined "bard talent" broadly then I could justify saying the courtier bard had 9 points or bard talents. I got 5 with a narrower definition, not counting Literacy, Courtly Graces and Charisma.

Quote:
If a player is running a bard, it is incumbent upon them and the GM to make certain that it does. Otherwise, it's wasted points.
If these rules are only intended to be used in those games where bardery (barding? :-)) is a major part of the game then fair enough, but I don't think they will get rolled out very often. If on the other hand these rules are intended to be used for more or less normal games, then bard should be a profession like thief, that isn't all that expensive and leaves enough talent points for a second profession as well. I think that second application would be a lot more useful.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote