View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 06:33 AM   #55
talonthehand

Default Re: How should i run monsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Powers is from November 2005. There have been a lot of tweaks and changes in the some 16 years since it came out.

For example, Basic which is one year older (2004) got the section on Magery with regards to limitations (p 66-67) totally revised in Thaumatology (p 20-21) as explained in Partially Limited Magery

Thaumatology is from 2008 which means there are likely revisions after it.

This is why I don't take much stock in a 16 year old rule given that in just 4 how magery with limitations worked, as presented in the core book, got changed.

I'm not exactly thrilled with this as it reminds me of how Classic started going off the rails where the "Universal" part of the game got effectively thrown out the window as what the "canonal" rules were varied depending on which books you had.

Classic: Aliens is a prime example of that as the Compendiums effectively threw out many of its point totals and even changed how some of the advantages and disadvantages worked.
Your argument of "this rule is old therefore it should not be paid attention to" is only strong if you have a more recent example of a different rule overruling it - not a case of "this other old rule got overruled". Do you have such an example?
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote