View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
OldSam

Default Re: My first GURPS game

Well done, keep going! You'll certainly have a lot more fun with the system in the future...
And handling a good rpg-session with 8 players is really impressive! You can most likely call yourself a very good GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
And 8 players with GURPS' slow combat resolution is even more impressive.
I don't think that GURPS has a slow combat resolution, at least in comparison to other "complex" RPGs - it's of course slower than very abstract simple mechanics without details etc
Moreover in my experience GURPS is open for a lot of tricks to accelerate the process in combat:
For instance two things I like:
1) Instead of looking up all needed modifiers, just ask the players to describe their action and let them roll. If you're experienced with the system, in many cases you can immediately see if the result means failure or success anyway, so you don't need to check the details and can save a lot of time.
2) If the player declared an action to make a specific attack which has difficult modifiers, it can take a moment to look these up. Just let them roll like before (in 1). In case it's not obvious that the attack is a miss, just roll for the active defense of the NPC opponent to see if the attack can be avoided anyway. If so, again it's not neccessary to check the detailed modifiers of the attack anymore, just estimate the results to get an adequate fluff description ("Your blade misses his hand by less than half an inch...")
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote