View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
CattyNebulart

Default Re: Enhancements to Magery

Hmm, Krom has spoken so I'd rather just let it drop, but here are my 2c anyway;

The way I see it magery more than just a talent that is a prerequisite for a set of skills like Trained by a Master or Weapon Master.

Like those it has it's own benefits including at what level of mana you can cast spells (in high mana everyone is a mage), so enhancements on magery should be able to alter the rules for that part of the advantage. By default magery has accseibility limitations tied to the level of mana, so cosmic should let you change that and ignore those rules.

I wouldn't allow reduced FP on magery, because that is a property of the spell, but being able to cast the spell in regular mana is a property of magery, and therefore it should be possible to change it by adding a modifier to magery.

That said if you are just setting what amounts to a minimum on the manalevel you function in you should get mana enhancer with appropriate limitations so it doesn't work at higher mana levels, and maybe a limitation so it just affects spells you cast.

Come to think of it the 'I work at a fixed magery level' effet could be done by just using mana damper and mana enchancer with appropriate limitations and enhancements. It would be very expensive though, and most mages wouldn't want the mana damper effect, and I would prefer that sort of thing to scale with magical ability.

I suppose what the cosmic enhancement on magery would do is hange the power modifier to 'Like magic, but not really' or something of that nature. I don't think I would allow a modifier on the spells though as has been suggested, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is bookkeeping.

I like the idea of area effect on talents granting them to other people, though that would also require the modifier 'affects other people'. Now imagine doing it to disadvantages, like lecherous.... of course I'd say that you really should use affliction for that kind of thing, maybe with aura or emanation. Still I don't think there is anything in the RAW that forbids taking affects others and area effect on those kinds of things.
CattyNebulart is offline   Reply With Quote