View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Casting time of missile spell scrolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Again, I think it depends on exactly how you classify the second two spell enlargement opportunities.

Are they part of the spell casting proper or are they more like manipulating a spell's effects.

Spells, pg. 11, informally defines manipulation: "You can maintain a spell without concentration unless it requires constant manipulation and change; e.g., to maneuver a levitating object."

In fact, consider a scroll with the Levitation spell. The effects of the user directing the nature of his movement (manipulation) after casting would not be specified in the scroll.

Although JMason's interpretation is certainly reasonable, I would judge that the scroll enchanter must then specify the amount of magery that the scroll reader would have to comply with for the second and third enlargements (even if it's beyond the scroll reader's magery level). (That is if you still want to hold on to the idea that the second and third enlargements are part of the spell's effects where "effects" are specified in the rule as written.)
The scroll is gone after the second turn, because that's when you roll and when you no longer have two hands to hold it. I don't think it makes much sense for the scroll to still provide energy when it doesn't exist anymore.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote