View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #9
Emerald Cat

Default Re: The World of Solem

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjday View Post
Yes, magic will have an inherent danger to it (think warhammer, wheel of time, Cthulhu). But that danger will be able to be controlled if PC magicians are careful and don't try to cast spells unless they know them really well.

Also when I set up the magic systems some magical schools will be more dangerous than others ie Necromancy vs Healing magic.
deanjday, it looks like you stuck part of your reply that magic has major social downsides inside of my quote.

I'd recommend using a separate Control Rating (CR) for magic in each region to give the players a heads-up about how severe the social downsides are going to be in that region.

I would consider requiring mages to take one or more of the Enemy, Secret, and Social Stigma disadvantages. That way, they are both forewarned and somewhat compensated for the trouble their mages may get into. I would still count this towards the disadvantage limit, if you are using one, because unlike Illiteracy it isn't reasonable to assume that all members of society have this disadvantage.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote