View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 07:48 PM   #5
Emerald Cat

Default Re: The World of Solem

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjday View Post
I only know at the moment I want them to be religious bigot, zealous bad guys who burn people at the steak if they show a hint of magical potential (maybe the religion has been corrupted by the big bad traitor god).
How often is the Church of the Silver Flame going to pose a threat to the mage PCs? If PC mages are going to be constantly under threat from the Church of the Silver Flame, you will need to clearly communicate that to the players. Otherwise, your players will feel frustrated when they are constantly under attack. If they don't buy into the masquerade, they may still be frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjday
The reference to Darkfriends is directly stolen from the wheel of time and will be used heavily as i introduce many secret cults with Lovecraftian and Warhammer influences corrupting the Men of the world.
Is this a setting where magic is always inherently corrupting? Or is corruption a route to power for fools without the diligence to learn proper magic?

I'd recommend reading Mailanka's Psi-Wars project. In it, Mailanka demonstrates how to build a setting from scratch, in this case a Star Wars inspired sci-fi setting. His Communion magic system for the force (in his 4th iteration of the project) is a good worked example for magic that has corrupting effects, while still being usable by PCs.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote