View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
Ramidel

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Magery

I've been fiddling with a setting with four different magic systems, just as a way of getting a handle on Thaumatology. My idea was something like this:

Magery 0 (Magic Sense) is universal for three out of four of the systems (the fourth is Power Investiture). The systems, broadly, are conventional GURPS Magic (practitioners are called enchanters, which is partly because they have the easiest access to the Enchant spell), Ritual Magic (wizards), Threshold-Limited Ritual Magic (sorcerers or theurges, not sure which term to use), and Threshold-Limited Power Investiture ("clerics" is the general term, but isn't really used much in-universe).

Magery 1+ is different for each Magery type, and it is possible to learn Magery without Magic Sense; in practice, this rarely happens. Fatigue is Fatigue, and Threshold would be one tally in the case of a cleric with multiple Investitures or a cleric-sorcerer (both are nigh-unheard of). Mana levels don't exist; enchanters without Magic Sense can cast spells at -3, while wizards and sorcerers can cast at -5. Sorcerers must also have Magery 1 before they can cast at all.

Thaumatology is the core skill for wizardry, while Ritual Magic is the core for sorcery.

...and that's about as far as I've gotten. It's still in the random note pile phase.
Ramidel is offline   Reply With Quote