View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Nature versus Nurture - DX and IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Hey guys,

Now, first of all, this is a contentious subject, there's no right answer, and everyone has a different opinion. I know that, I just want to hear some different viewpoints out of curiosity.

That said, how much of DX and IQ do you think is down to genetics, and how much to experience? Assuming you believe DX and IQ can be learnt at all.

My own view is that DX and IQ can be learnt, that learning a wide variety of dexterity-based skills is likely to improve your overall coordination and, well, dexterity. If I had to put numbers on it, I'd say, assuming a human max of 16, 2 or 3 levels can be acquired through experience, the rest is genetic.

That's my view, what's yours?
Based on what Bio-tech says is possible with eugenic modification (as opposed to species or radical modification):

Nature:
ST: 12
DX: 11
IQ: 12
HT: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid 83, page 16
For DX, IQ (and hence Will, and Per), and HT, it’s easy to keep the lid on: Treat the 6-to-15 range described in How to Select Basic Attributes (p. B14) as the scope of realistic ability for adult humans. To avoid implausible resistance to bleeding, poison, and so on, the GM might cap HT slightly lower; the 14 for the hardiest natural creatures (pp. B455-460) works, and even 13 is defensible. The GM may permit extraordinary people to buy one level over the usual limit if they take Unusual Background (Peak Attribute), which costs as much as a single level of that attribute; e.g., 5 points for Will or Per, 10 points for HT, or 20 points for DX or IQ. This extreme sets the “hard” limit on human ability.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 08-26-2016 at 01:06 PM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote