View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Archers and Mages Attacking Every Turn (DF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Right, and I wouldn't change this. A properly spec'ed wizard can toss a 3d missile (or 3d-3 impaling missile) every other turn, which is far more damaging than anything a typical archer can do! We've played with allowing Compartmentalized Mind, but in the end most of us (as GMs) restrict it to NPCs only, since it's a ridiculously easy way to build "boss monster" spellcasters.
Having read this thread an interesting idea that popped into my head is to allow new variant Missile spells which top out at 1d or maybe 2d, energy cost cannot be reduced (or base energy cost is very high, so reductions still cost at least 1FP), and casting time is instant (a specific exemption to the minimum casting time rule).

Kromm also used to have some variant missile spells on his website that allowed mages to fire multiple projectiles in a single casting. So instead firing 1 fireball in a one second casting you could fire up to 12d divided between multiple missiles (so 2x6d, or 3x4d, etc). I'm not sure I'd allow that one, but it's an idea.

As for Archers, as others have said with Heroic Archer, Fast-Draw, and a few archery perks an Archer can be very deadly (throw Strongbow into the mix, in addition to what's already been mentioned). If you allow Dual Weapon Attack (Bow) they can even get off two arrows per turn on the same or adjacent targets. That's plenty deadly enough.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 06-23-2016 at 11:16 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote