View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Mark Caliber

Default Re: Player Paranoia and Character Surprise: How to GM

In general I tend to avoid situations or scenarios where the PC's are required to be placed in a situation like this.

As you pointed out, the players tend to become frustrated and angry with a loss of control.

Having the PC's being captured is always terribly tricky and I've found that most PC's become violently opposed to incarceration.

BUT you asked, "How to handle these situations."

First, condition the players.

If they head out to the grocery store armed to the teeth and wearing full armor, they are likely to incite panic and a local SWAT team.

Once they get the picture that messing with a SWAT team is no fun, they'll eventually begin to be more circumspect in crossing the law.

Other things that you can do, is to require a high level of detail when it comes to your transitions. (ie: GM: "Let me get this straight, You're wearing Improved Body Armor under a Tank top? While carrying your lance, a PS1 Sniper Rifle, and how are you holding the SMG?!?")

Unfortunately a LOT of players don't like this level of detail, but in demanding this level of detail it also helps you avoid the "I pull out my 2-handed battle-axe! Oh yeah? From where?" syndrom.

Ironically in demanding this level of detail, you're also going to tip off the players that something's up.
Mark Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote