Thread: cauldrons
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #44
cptbutton

Default Re: cauldrons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
Using that I would say that pot would represent at minimum a full months wage if not two, just to acquire this item, and I mean the full month not the portion of the wage that wasn't going to food and living expenses. Stuff like this was probably part of a dowry, to help establish a new household.
This is something people took care of and spent time and money to maintain. This is one of the primary functions of a "Tinker" was to mend pots, its one of the reasons villagers would welcome or at least not be hostile to these outsiders.
We had a guest speaker in some college history course I took involving colonial America, who noted that most museum recreations of a colonial kitchen are misleading. Because the curators naturally want to show off their stuff rather than hide most of it in the warehouse. So you see a fireplace with dozen pots and half a dozen variant on a fireplace poker, where in reality most households would have one or two pots at most, and one poker, because that stuff was expensive.