View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #82
dravenloft

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRailgun
1 - Readability. I don't want to have to scroll through a lot of pages to find what I want. I want to _know_ where to look for something... I could find anything in my 1st ed AD&D book in two page turns. I can't do that with a PDF.
I actually agree with this one in some PDFs especially some of the free ones WotC used to [still?] have on their site. GURPS ones seem to use PDF abilities to have the contents as a navigated menu on the side of the reader software allowing jumping virtually right to the part you want. Even the ones not so well done, I've not met PDF software that can't create bookmarks and keep them. Then there's printing them.
Quote:
2 - Printability. 32 pages is too much to print.... I'm too cheap to pay for the ink and paper. I would rather pay for SJG's ink and paper and have a bound product already in my hands.
Depends on your printer. 32pg on my old HP Deskjet would have had me broken out in a cold sweat over the cost. My Canon Pixma though? I'd print Basic Set vol1 & vol2 and Martial Arts w/o a 2nd thought or flinching. I'd probably still have ink in the cartridges when I finished.
Quote:
A standard rulebook would eat up my precious, precious ink. This is also why I don't want much art in a PDF, or a fancy title page... I'm not going to print it anyway, so it's a waste of everyone's time and money. I'm using a PDF in a game.... noone in my game will need to see the product's cover. Pretty color picture covers are for hardcover books.
That would be a logical fallacy. Just because you don't wish to use up your ink doesn't make it a waste of anyone else's anything.
Quote:
3 - Price. Less than $10 is good got me, even for 32 pages. I'm not likely to spend more than that on something that can disappear from my laptop due to hardrive failure, or a button press by a curious 2 year old.
I'm with you on this one RE companies that don't track your download. e23 eliminates this. Any data you buy from SJGames you can always go back later and redownload. I know because I bought GCA from e23 when it came out -- this week I had to download it again because I couldn't get to the partition it was stored on. I've probably downloaded it a grand total of 2 dozen times for various reasons since I bought it.

BTW please SJGames don't ever abolish that policy! I'm good at deleting the wrong harddrive if I try to fix my computer with a higher fever than I know I have.