View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 12:06 AM   #37
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Large variance of SMs together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Even with cartoon light logic, you don't need them to weigh what realistic giants would. They'd need god-level strength to lift each other otherwise.

A human scaled up 10 times would have 1/10th the strength per pound. So to lift each other as easily humans lift each other, they'd have to be 10 times as strong as even semi-realistic titans would be.

That's pretty extreme.
It is. I don't have an issue with it, it would just be one of those things. I'm not sure how I'd want it to be, to be honest. I like titans with other titans to be similar as humans to other humans. I'd also like some weight and strength values that make sense according to something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
Second, there could be a common magic item akin to "The Bag of Holding" that comes in many sizes, such that a fairy would have a tiny bag with the opening just big enough to fit a coin through and a titan might own a bag whose opening could be big enough to easily place people of any other race, carts, horses, etc in the bag. This still leaves the problem that the titan will have difficulty counting out tiny coins. One nice way to solve this would be to mimic an ability from the "Handy Haversack", which effectively helps you grab the contents you want - the titan imagines which coins they want, reaches in, and finds those coins in his hand without having to tediously feel around for the minuscule coins. Another option would be to let the magic bag merge coins into bars and vice versa.
If you don't want magic items everywhere, perhaps the city itself has some kind of system that provides the magic (obelisks evenly distributed around town, perhaps), so the bags only function in the city (and if taken outside the city, the contents stays in the pocket dimension inside the city, and you just have an empty bag with some runes/sigils/etc on it).
I've always like Bag's of Holding, I actually used them in one campaign to replace modern credit card usage (you don't even pull out the coins, you just pour and the exact amount comes out into the "register" without either opening). As for large scale magic item usage, I actually like it, but I also like your idea of them being largely powered by the city, further increasing want to move there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Actually, I ran some numbers where each increase in SM reduced the numbers by 1/3rd, and each decrease in SM increased numbers by 50%. I ended up with pixies still forming just over 50% of the population and Titans forming over 80% of the mass.
That's so awesome of you, thanks! 50/80 seems like good numbers to run off of. I might change things slightly, based on other setting needs (for instance, if there is an especially common race) but other I'll probably stick to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Yeast is everywhere and anything with sugar can be fermented into alcohol.
But I don't see lacking it as being game breaking for most players.
It's true, but what if fermenting wasn't possible? For instance, I know guns never get developed due to a lack of requirements necessary to get there (largely, a relatively safe explosive like gunpowder).
As for players, almost all my players far prefer illegal drugs to legal ones, for a variety of reasons. Plus, there's often too many alcohol plots I personally just don't care for and would rather restrict it in some manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
With 12 SMs to play with, you could have the tiniest people living inside the furniture of the largest. A pixie apartment complex carved into a titan's table leg, for example.

Imagine humans regularly interacting with people as tall as a typical historical wargaming mini, or half as tall as a LEGO minifigure.
That's part of why I adore this idea. Imagine the titan commoner bowing to the faerie king, completely unironically.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote